An embarrassing, and somewhat predictable, gap since my last post is largely due to my persistent mismanagement of time. Making artwork always comes before managing my website, but when that has been for almost a year that is quite bad! Apologies.
For the last couple of months, I have been working towards a new collection for the Affordable Art Fair Hampstead Spring edition. I normally try to tie the collection together in some way. I don’t want to make work that is all about the same thing or even that uses the same palette, but it helps my head to have a unifying idea…ish.
For a couple of the pieces, I have looked at the feathers of British birds. This is for several reasons. I am endlessly fascinated with the communities that they build, be as part of a massive murmuration or as a pair or even as individual hunters. The structure of layered and individual feathers is appealing to me. Sincerely wishing to not sound pretentious; the idea of formation, interlocking elements and community is important to me and I always want this to come across in my work. On a visual level I’m really into how light and shadow alters colours on birds, and I’ve also tried to echo this in my work recently.
One such piece is Jay. Taking an Eurasian Jay feather as a starting point I’ve examined some of the elements such as stripes, layers, and vivid colour. The colour is famously vibrant. It certainly has a more famous and gaudier cousin in the blue jay, but i love the unexpected flash of blue in the Eurasian,
I altered my usual style of folding to reference a wing tip. For example, rather than folding half a square up in a blunt line I’ve more gently pealed up one corner edge to create a curved gesture.
This piece is contracted of several thousands of torn paper elements. The majority have been hand painted but some are copper leafed. I cannot tell you the amount of glue that went into this piece, pr how many paper cuts I acquired in it's creation.
,7 Days to go until D Day. I've been trying to get together a complete show for The Affordable Art Fair in Hampstead (4th-8th May). As remaining work from New York is still mid-Atlantic somewhere I needed to start from scratch for the UK spring shows in January.
The latter stages of this process have coincided with the Easter Hols and an attempt at being an, at-least-sometimes-present mother and partner. Consequently I've been trying to work super efficiently. For me this means working on three pieces at the same time. It is too boring to go into in any great depth, but since there are many drying and pressing stages to each of my pieces, this method means that paintings can be at various stages of drying while I work on the others. This sounds simple enough but, as Ms. Dyslexia 1984, I find the coordination of this so incredibly difficult.. I have been also trying to bring the odd bit of work home, which means that my route to and from the studio can be traced by a Hansel and Gretel style deposit of small painted circles. Troublingly I also found one in the shower the other day.
Last week I managed to finish a piece that I began preparing at the end of last year. Because these types of paintings have multiple procedures and stages and are quite time consuming I tend to have one on the go over a long period.